The UCSF Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program enjoys an excellent reputation nationally for the procedures performed and care given to patients from the Western United States and around the world. The program is based at UCSF Children's Hospital.
The Department of Surgery offers a one year clinical and research training fellowship program in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. The goal of the program is to educate and train future academic, clinical, and research leaders in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. Upon completion of the training program, the surgeon should have clinical expertise in all aspects of pre, intra, and postoperative management of infants, children, and young adults with congenital heart disease or acquired disorders. Duration of this fellowship is 1-2 years and the preferable starting date is July1st.
The applicant will have the following qualifications:
- Cardiac Surgical Residency in an approved USA center, or equivalent training outside the USA.
- Commitment to an academic career in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery.
- Ability to obtain California Medical License
- Certificates for USMLE Step I and II
Fellowship Training Activities
During the training program, our surgical fellows will participate in the following activities:
- Management of preoperative patient care, evaluation, preparation and follow-up.
- Performing operations as primary surgeon under the supervision of a senior surgeon, or assisting the senior surgeon.
- Management of post-operative care of surgical patients.
- Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery case discussion conferences.
- Morbidity and Mortality conferences.
- National and international conferences representing UCSF Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- On-going research projects, production of reports and presentation of findings at internal and external venues.
Please email your CV and letter of intent, preferably 2 years in advance of proposed starting date, to:
V. Mohan Reddy, M.D.
Professor and Chief, Division of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery
Co-Director, UCSF Pediatric Heart Center
Director, Clinical Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery
Division Manager and Fellowship Coordinator